- NameSY Koala
- Length32 feet
- Beam8.8 feet
- LocationDiscovery Bay
- EngineYanmar 3GM30 Diesel
Koala was one of 6 yachts built in the Wing On Shing shipyard to a John Alden design (Malabar junior). Four of these were sold for export to the US and UK, and remain in active use.
The ship has a long and colourful history (refer RHKYC “Eastern Winds” and her internment in Macau during the Cultural Revolution) and continues to be sailed by her present owner extensively across HK waters, being a regular participant in the annual ABC 4 peaks.
Licensed to carry up to 12 people, the yacht is perfect to explore HK waters with friends and family. Alternatively, the boat is easily and widely sailed singled handed, by her present owner.
Over the last 6 years of the current ownership, the boat has been extensively renovated to include:-
- Newly installed reconditioned 3GM30 Yanmar Diesel on new engine bed (2018);
- New prop , shaft and seals (2019);
- New Electrical systems (2015);
- New Galley for extended cruising (2019;
- All keel bolts replaced and new (undertaken by HUD in 2015);
The boat is maintained by her present owner, with minimal boat yard assistance.